Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Our Avery bird


THIS kid, my shining star, Avery. Y'all hear so much about her little sissy but never enough about her. It's hard for me as a mom at times knowing that Lainey and I share something that I hope and pray that Avery never, EVER has to share. I can only imagine how hard it is for her though, watching her baby sister go through all of this only to have it happen a few months later to Mommy too. As parents, you try to do everything in your power to protect your kids and there are days I struggle, knowing I couldn't do that for these sweet babies. I know it's not my fault, but still, it's hard. She is smart, kind, FUNNY, curious, loves to sing and has a beautiful voice. She's a SURVIVOR too though, not many 5 year olds have weathered the storm she has. We have challenging days sometimes explaining why Lainey is getting away with a little more than she should since she's on her "bad medicine" (steroids). Does she fully understand that, no, but one day she will and my prayer is that like us, she'll become stronger because of all of this. She's our "Bird", that's been her nickname since she was a newborn. She's also my little nurse when I'm having a hard day she'll bring me a blanket, crackers or just want to hold my hand as I walk down the stairs. For every moment I curse her defiant spirit of 'I can do IT!!', it makes me a little sad, knowing she's right. I want to savor every moment with them because time sure does pass fast. I don't care what my kids grow up to be or how much money they make. The only thing I want them to be is kind, respectful and good human beings. If they become millionaires but are arrogant and rude, I have failed as a parent. But THIS precious bird, I just know is going to SOAR one day and I'm so lucky to have a front row seat!

No comments: